Things I'm Loving: Summer 2016
It’s been a hectic, stressful week. My anxiety was on overload a few days ago, and I was wondering how in the world I was going to handle another minute of my life. Grayson had surgery on Tuesday, my grandfather is very sick and isn’t expected to live much longer, and Charlotte continues to be of the opinion that potty training is for the birds and she just has too many other things to do to worry about silly things like bathroom breaks.
Thankfully, with friends talking me off the ledge and lots of sunshine, I actually had a great weekend and am feeling so much better than I was on Friday. Grayson is doing remarkably well (he had the hardware removed from his hips that was put in last year during his major surgery), I am planning to go to Michigan when my grandfather dies to be with family, and I’m just taking potty training off my plate for a week or so. Whatever.
All that being said, I’m trying to focus on the positives in my life right now and the things that I am loving.
1. HAMILTON- I am obsessed. I started listening to the soundtrack a few weeks ago and I just can’t get enough. Funnily enough, separately I am not too into history, hip hop, or musicals, but this show is just absolutely brilliant. I can’t get enough, and I am now binge-listening to The Hamilcast, a podcast devoted to all things Hamilton, and reading articles and watching videos on the show. Do I have any friends into Hamilton? I need to chat with SOMEONE about this!
If you don’t know what Hamilton is, it’s a Broadway musical based on the life of Alexander Hamilton, the first treasury secretary of the United States. I know, it sounds like a snooze-fest, but the story is so compelling and the music is just amazing. Right now it’s only on Broadway in New York, but will be touring the country in the next few years. But the entire story is in the music, so you can totally experience it with the soundtrack. DO IT.
2. MOVIES- I went to the movies for the first time in almost 2 years the other day. We saw Finding Dory with Charlotte. It was her very first movie theater movie, and she loved it and did so great. I’m excited for another (indoors, air conditioned) activity we can do with her.
3. POOL TIME- We finally live in a neighborhood with a pool and we’ve been going almost every day for several hours. I love that it wears the kids out and we are making new friends in our neighborhood.
4. THE RANCH- My parents house in the country has been under construction for the last 18 months, and it’s finally almost complete. We have been up there several times and it’s a great place for a getaway. They have an amazing pool, tons of space to relax and of course lots of nature.
5. ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK- Season 4 is here! No spoilers please- we are only on episode 5, but I am loving the new season so far.
6. MAKE-A-WISH- Grayson’s patio and awning are complete and we are loving hanging out with him outside. I want to do a separate post on this with pictures, so I won’t post any tonight, but we are so excited about this outdoor space for him and our family.
7. HAPPY HOUR LIVE- You know I love, love, love podcasts, and this Tuesday my BFF and I are going to a live show with Jamie Ivey. I’m so excited!
8. THESE PEOPLE- They drive me insane several times each day, but they have my whole heart. I love being their mommy.
Omg!!! I love that shallow area your parents pool has! That's amazing. And that you all have a neighborhood pool you can use. That would be awesome. I can't be your Hamilton buddy yet, but I'll check it out soon… 😀
You are the second person today that I've heard mention Hamilton. I guess I need to check it out ASAP.