Letters to Charlotte: Two and a Half
July 22, 2015
Two and a Half. I’m not sure what to think about this particular age just yet- the past few days, weeks even, have been quite challenging. I’m not sure if it’s your age or the fact that your mom is 8 months pregnant and it’s the middle of the scorching summer, but everything lately seems like a fight or negotiation. I love that you have opinions and are persistent, but girl, you are wearing me out.
You are right in the middle of the “it’s MINE” phase, never mind if it is in fact actually yours. Your meltdowns are loud and intense, but thankfully usually don’t last long. You have very specific opinions on the dishes you eat off of, the shoes you wear, and what toys you bring to bed (there’s barely any room for you with all the stuff on that bed). Thankfully, you don’t have strong feelings on your clothes just yet, other than you HATE having your clothes and diaper changed and we end up chasing Naked Charlotte around the house a few times a day.
We talk about the baby quite a bit, although it’s such an abstract concept and I think you are going to be in for quite a shock in a few weeks. When we ask you about the baby in Mommy’s tummy, you tell us it’s a girl, her name is “Joshua” and you are going to bring her a blanket and feed her bananas and avacados. Hilarious!
Despite the challenging days we’ve been having lately, you continue to be such a joy in my life. I am in awe of how smart and articulate you are, and your amazing memory. Some of the things I want to always remember about you at this age are:
– You love to paint- paper, rocks, your body, and you are good at it. When you color or paint a coloring book picture, you actually do a good job of staying inside the lines
– You love to snack. When I tell you in the mornings where we are going that day, you will usually ask me if there will be snacks there and associate people’s homes with the snacks they have. This is not my favorite thing about you, because it’s stressful telling you “no” to your constant requests for snacks and the subsequent meltdowns, but it is pretty funny.
– You insist on putting your sandles on yourself, but have not once put them on the correct feet.
– We’ve been to the beach twice this summer, and you’ve had the best time. You love playing in the sand and jumping in the waves.
– You are an amazing sleeper at night (12 hours) and have not once climbed out of your bed. However, you are only napping 2 or 3 days a week now. I guess it’s a trade off so we can all go to bed early!
-You adore your Daddy and have loved having him home for the summer. He went back to work yesterday and you’ve cried for him both days. I don’t think I’m going to be the only one who is going to have a hard time with football season this year.
-You are rarely still or quiet, but when you feel like it, you give the best hugs.
Happy half birthday sweet Charlotte Faith. You are the best!