Last night, I started feeling run down, tired and a little achy. I really thought it was the result of my (probably a little dramatic, but totally justified) annoyance with the electricians who were supposed to come in the afternoon but came at 6:15 pm. 6:15 pm is NOT the afternoon, people! 6:15 is also Grayson’s bedtime. Yes, I know, the world does not revolve around my baby’s schedule, but at 6:15, it should. So here they come, with their LOUD drills and beeping devices to try and figure out why our breaker keeps tripping, which has caused us to have tragically been without a TV in the living room for a week (which in turn caused me to not be able to watch the Grey’s Anatomy musical until today-actually, it wasn’t that horrible). The dogs wereIzzy was going nuts, Grayson was crying, and Ryan was still out slaying dragons, er, dealing with a psychotic female coach (another story for another time).

I actually had a plan for that hour- put G down, put dinner in the oven, and for God’s sake TAKE A SHOWER so I wouldn’t greet my husband completely covered in and smelling like baby bodily fluids. Instead, I ended up holding/rocking/balancing G on one knee and Izzy on the other (which is more difficult, this baby or this dog? I have yet to decide) until Ryan came home, to the beeping, the drilling, the crying, the Izzy-whining, and the fluids.

Grayson, being his bedtime-rockstar self, went down just fine despite the chaos. Ryan took Izzy for a walk while the other three were banished to the backyard (yep, we reward bad behavior around here), I made dinner, and the electricians concluded after taking apart every single outlet in the living room that the problem is the ceiling fan. Oh and they can’t fix that now. Of course. But they unplugged whatever the problem was and now we have TV and mostly working outlets in here. I’m thinking: whatever– just please leave, and take your beeping with you.

So last night I was just feeling crappy, and then this morning even crappier. Last week, Ryan had a sinus infection and got a Z-Pack so I figured I just caught it from him. Grayson and I loaded up and schlepped over to the HEB Redi-Clinic to get my Z-Pack and move on with our day. Not so fast- I have strep throat. What?! I haven’t had strep throat in years, and I was feeling perfectly fine 12 hours before. So I’m on Amoxicillan for 10 days, although I won’t be contagious (and hopefully will be feeling better) by tomorrow.

The P.A. who wrote me the prescription reminded me to use back up birth control while I am taking the medication. She said she has a nephew who is the “result of a really bad sore throat”- ha ha! How would you like to be that kid and known as that?

I did call Grayson’s pediatrician to ask if I should bring him in to be tested- who knows how many strep germs  kisses have covered his sweet face since I was infected. The nurse said just to watch him and his temperature, but it’s rare for a child under 2 to get strep. Finally, some good news! Poor G is still dealing with snot, snot, and more snot, but no temperature and isn’t acting sick. Ryan has a game tonight and is taking 50 high school kids on a school bus to San Antonio tomorrow (aren’t you jealous?) but my mom was sweet enough to come over and entertain Grayson while I sat like a lump on the couch and tried to will the sick out of my body. Now she’s putting Grayson to bed while I try to wrap up this already way too long blog post, which really has no point except that I’m sick, and I’m hoping I won’t be sick tomorrow. Grayson got invited to his first birthday party, which is tomorrow morning, and he really, really wants to go (he told me so).

Happy Weekend Everyone!


  1. Adventures in Wonderland on April 8, 2011 at 11:55 pm

    Poor mama! Hope you feel better soon!

  2. basebell6 on April 9, 2011 at 1:01 am

    i wish i knew that about kids under 2 not really getting strep! so sorry you have it but glad they caught it early!! get well soon!

  3. Naomi on April 9, 2011 at 1:45 am

    When you said what Ryan came home to I could only laugh. I hope you feel better!

  4. Traci on April 9, 2011 at 2:17 am

    Your son really is a rockstar when it comes to sleeping. Sadie had only been asleep for about twenty minutes (after a 30 minute struggle to actually go to sleep) when the vacuum cleaner woke her up. aaahhhh!! Oh, but this comment should be about YOU – sorry you are feeling gross. Hope you're better SOON!

  5. Michael and Erin on April 10, 2011 at 1:46 am

    Umm, so I'm a day late commenting, but you knew I was thinking about you. So sorry you are sick. Not fun at all…hope you feel better today!!!!

Leave a Comment